London – 21 April 2012 - Shazam®, the world’s leading media discovery company, today announces that it has been recognised with the Queen’s Award for Enterprise in Innovation for its mobile app’s outstanding achievement in music and television. This was bestowed by HRM The Queen for the achievement of a high level of innovation excellence.
“We are incredibly honoured to be recognised for the leadership role we play in the global media discovery industry, particularly as the company was founded and is headquartered in the United Kingdom,” said Shazam CEO, Andrew Fisher. “The Queen’s Award is a significant recognition of the achievements of our team who have developed one of the world’s leading mobile services that is now embraced by more than 200 million people across 200 countries. It is especially gratifying to be recognised by Her Majesty in her Diamond Jubilee Year.”
The Queen’s Award was launched in 1965 and is one of Great Britain’s most prestigious awards and is judged to an exacting standard. To qualify for the award, all data submitted was audited to guarantee accuracy before a set of judges, including representatives from government, industry and commerce as well as trade unions reviewed the entries and made its recommendations. Finalists are then passed to the Prime Minister’s Advisory Committee for the ultimate decision.
Shazam was recognised for the global leadership position it has established by applying its core technology to music discovery and as a companion experience for television shows and adverts.
Other recent developments for the company include:
- Passing more than 200 million people using the service around the world
- Growth rates of over 1.5 million new fans per week
- Launching Shazam for TV and revolutionising the viewing experience of some of America’s most popular television shows and events such as the Super Bowl and the GRAMMY® Awards
- Partnering with ITV, the biggest commercial broadcaster in the UK, to launch Shazam for TV in the UK
- Launching the fastest identification experience in the industry on iOS and Android, with tag results delivered in as little as one second
- Introducing an exciting new application, Shazam Player, featuring the popular LyricPlay™ feature delivering lyrics in time with the music
Shazam is one of the most popular apps of all time, used by hundreds of millions of people globally to connect to the world around them. Building on its pioneering leadership in music identification, Shazam now helps people discover, interact with, and share video, audio, or printed content on TV, radio, movie screens, magazines, newspapers, packaged goods, and retail stores -- and now Shazam lets music fans follow their favorite artists to see their Shazams and share in the thrill of discovery. The app has exceeded 20 billion total Shazams since its launch, and users Shazam over 20 million times each day. For more information on how Shazam has created new technology tools for brands to utilize data visit www.shazam.com